Home of Derek
Hello guest!

Welcome to my forum! I am Derek, so you may contact me if you need any help.

In the mean time....

Please login if you are an existing member or register if you are a new member!

D-Dragon
Home of Derek
Hello guest!

Welcome to my forum! I am Derek, so you may contact me if you need any help.

In the mean time....

Please login if you are an existing member or register if you are a new member!

D-Dragon
Home of Derek
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home of Derek

The title says it all...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Most Viewed Topics
General Discussion
Mobile Forum
Rated R (18+) Text Art
Text Art Girl
The difference between education and experience?
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers
[IMP] Change Your Username
Posting external links for new members.
Video - Amazing Megamercial
The epic spam power house!
Most active topics
What's your fav game?
[IMP] Change Your Username
Korean Pop
Posting external links for new members.
Rated R (18+) Text Art
Video - SLOPEFLYING
Video - Amazing Megamercial
One Badass Car!
The epic spam power house!
Latest topics
» R.I.P. Steve Jpbs
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 2:23 am by [eVo] Derek

» Anyone Here?
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2011 2:17 am by [eVo] Derek

» September 11th Remebrance
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 am by [eVo] Derek

» The Artificial Intelligence (AI) Project
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 9:17 pm by [eVo] Derek

» [IMP] Change Your Username
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 6:57 pm by [eVo] Derek

» IM BORED! :D
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 7:23 pm by [eVo] Derek

» Points System
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 12:10 am by [eVo] Derek

» The epic spam power house!
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 8:14 pm by [eVo] Derek

» The Greatest Dancer Ever!
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 8:14 pm by [eVo] Derek

Poll
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
[eVo] Derek
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_vote_lcapHow to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_voting_barHow to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_vote_rcap 
rokit
How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_vote_lcapHow to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_voting_barHow to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_vote_rcap 
Admin
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 16 on Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:19 pm
Statistics
We have 8 registered users
The newest registered user is melvgidlnafqjxec

Our users have posted a total of 94 messages in 38 subjects

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
[eVo] Derek
Admin
[eVo] Derek

Epicness : 4748
Epic Reputation : 0

How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers Empty
PostSubject: How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Code:
Lasers on the High Seas
The U.S. Navy wants to put powerful lasers on its ships to shoot down artillery shells and even cruise missiles at the speed of light (and really, who wouldn't). But there are a few scientific details to sort out before sailors can deploy the beams. "First we want to make sure the physics is right before throwing buckets of salt water over the thing," says Ed Pogue.

Pogue is the program manager for Boeing's free electron laser (FEL) program, potentially the most ambitious laser weapons program since the Pentagon's controversial airborne laser. In that program, the Missile Defense Agency spent billions of dollars and over a decade to get a laser-rigged jumbo jet to destroy a ballistic missile in its boost phase of flight. They eventually succeeded in February 2010, but the Obama administration nixed plans to develop the experiment into a battle-ready weapon.

Maybe the Navy's project will meet a better fate. In 5 years, at a cost of $163 million, Boeing hopes to get the physics right and demonstrate an extremely powerful--and hopefully seaworthy--giant laser. It's no small task, in part because the laser they're using is powered by several particle accelerators.

Here's an overview of how the Navy's free electron laser works. (You may notice that the pictures are not on a boat; for now, researchers are working with a landlubbing laser based at Jefferson Lab in Newport News, Virginia.)

Comments?
Back to top Go down
https://thehomeofderek.forumotion.com
rokit

Epicness : 4681

PostSubject: "land lubbung?"   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 4:53 pm

What is "Land Lubbbing?"

Power by giant particle accelerators?

How (or where) do they get the power for the accelerators...?, on board nuke power?
Back to top Go down
[eVo] Derek
Admin
[eVo] Derek

PostSubject: Re: How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:08 pm

no clue i wantwd to know the same thing
Back to top Go down
rokit

PostSubject: But researchers are working with it?   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 2:58 am

"...for now, researchers are working with a landlubbing laser..."

All I ask is, is it also a GIANT landlubbing laser?

Or what do they call a "landlubbed laser" once it goes out to sea?

Hmmm, curious minds want to know?
Back to top Go down
[eVo] Derek
Admin
[eVo] Derek

PostSubject: Re: How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:32 pm

When in doubt I ask Mr. Google for all the answeres. Landlubbling laser sounds kinda stupid doesnt it?
Back to top Go down
rokit

PostSubject: Who Knew?   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:12 pm

"land·lub·ber" [land-luhb-er]

noun

An unseasoned sailor or someone unfamiliar with the sea.

nautical any person having no experience at sea

sailor's term of contempt for a landsman, c.1700, from land (n.) + lubber (q.v.).

Origin:
1690–1700; land + lubber

Related forms
land·lub·ber·ish, adjective
land·lub·ber·ly, land·lub·bing, adjective

Who Knew?
Back to top Go down
[eVo] Derek
Admin
[eVo] Derek

PostSubject: Re: How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2011 8:12 pm

define:lubber on google is a good way to find stuff Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers   How to Build the Ultimate Naval Defense: Uber-Powerful Lasers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Home of Derek :: The Home of Derek :: Serious Discussions-
Jump to: